Wow! COVID quarantine just continues to change things for everyone. For many of us, we have begun spending a lot more time with ourselves than we ever did before. Have you noticed unexplained aches or sensations in your pelvic floor , hips, back, etc? Gaining a basic understanding of your anatomy can help you!
Recently, I had the opportunity to sit down with the amazing mother daughter pair, who recently launched the Down There Aware podcast. Down There Aware is aimed at bringing awareness to gynecologic cancers, women’s healthcare issues, and advocacy issues. Alex and Mary Massey bring you weekly episodes shedding light on the realities of being a woman in our healthcare system today. I love their perspective as a window across different age groups as well!
Pelvic Floor Health: An Introductory Conversation is available on multiple podcast platforms and answers many key questions.
Here are a few things that we discuss in the episode:
- Pelvic Floor Basics
- 4 Main Functions
- Birth trauma
- Where can I get pelvic floor care?
- How do you find a pelvic floor physical therapist?
- How can gynecological cancers affect the pelvic floor?
- Vulvar Ice Application & Moisturizer
- Increased awareness of your pelvic floor
- Do physicians regularly recommend patients to pelvic floor pts, or not?
- Surgery recovery
- Unfortunately sometimes patients need to educate their providers
- DON’T listen to someone who tells you “you are exaggerating”, “that’s normal”, or “you’re just getting older”
- DON’T let your provider’s biases affect your care
- Women are often dismissed or ignored in the healthcare world unfortunately
- Have you taken a mirror and looked at your own vulva?
- Sometimes your treatment requires building a care team, who are all the people are your roundtable?
- State Practice Acts and how to find out what yours is
- YouTube Video Guides
Check out these websites for more information on finding a local PT: